A simple rice dish that brings the flavour, warming and filling. The stew you make for this dish can also be used for Ghanaian chicken.
Ingredients -serves 4
2 large onion
2 cans of chopped tomato
170g tomato paste
80ml vegetable oil
2 birds eye chilli peppers
1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
1teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3 chicken bouillon cubes
500g cups long grain rice
150g frozen mixed vegetable
1. Finely chop onions.
2. Rinse rice with water.
3. Add onions and 2 tablespoons of oil to a blender and pulse until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl.
4. Add the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, curry powder, garlic powder, ginger, dried herbs,
and crushed bouillon cubes and birds eye chilli pepper to the blender, and pulse until smooth. Transfer to a separate medium bowl.
5. Heat the remaining 40ml of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
6. Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion puree and cook until the water has cooked out and the onion is starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
7. Stir in the tomato puree. Cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the stew has reduced by half and is deep red in colour.
8. Add the rice, mixed vegetables, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with lid. Simmer for another 30 minutes, until the rice is cooked through and the liquid is absorbed. Make sure to stir regularly so that the rice does not stick to the