Chicken Tikka Masala
4 Chicken breast
4 clove of garlic
200g plain yoghurt
2tsp garam masala
2tsp ground cumin
400g tomato passata
2tbsp vegetable oil
1 chopped onion
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp ground chilli powder
1tsp brown sugar
1.Cut the chicken into medium sized chunks.
2. In a bowl, combine chicken with all of the ingredients for the chicken marinade: 4 chicken breast, 200g plain yoghurt, 1/2 tbsp ginger, 1tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp salt.
3.Let the chicken marinate for 10mins to and hour dependent on time. If you have longer the chicken ccan be left to marinade overnight.
4. Weigh and wash your rice.
5. Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat. When sizzling, add chicken pieces in batches of two or three, making sure not to crowd the pan. Fry until browned for only 3 minutes on each side. Set aside and keep warm. (You will finish cooking the chicken in the sauce.)
6. Slice the onion into small pieces. Slice and crush the garlic to make a paste.
7. Melt the butter in the same pan. Fry the onions until soft (about 3 minutes).
8.Add garlic and 1/2 tbsp ginger and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant, then add 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1tsp coriander. Fry for about 20 seconds until fragrant, while stirring occasionally.
9.Pour in the tomato passata, chilli powder and salt. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens and becomes a deep brown red colour.
10.Cover rice with water and cook in saucepan with lid on. Ensure water does not completely evaporate as rice will soak up water and then burn if no water left.
11.Stir the cream and sugar through the sauce. Add the chicken and its juices back into the pan and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick and bubbling. You can pour in 20ml of water to thin out the sauce, if needed.
12.Garnish with a few coriander leaves and serve with rice.